Important points from a article from Mark Kennedy's website about animated short.
- There are few limitations and very little guidance as to how to proceed and what kins of subject matter to tackle.
- Do you know enough about life and experienced enough to express what you want to say ?
The important part of the decision is to pick something that will sustain your interest and passion long enough for you to finish the damn thing.
- Shouldn't do what you think OTHERS will think is cool or funny or clever or intellectual etc..
Should do what you actually find interesting, engaging and insipring enough to work on 24 hours a day for the duration of the project.
- Biggest problem is trying to over reach in terms of complexity and/or polish.
- Audience always always always respond strongly to entertainment that holds a mirror up to the human condition.
- If you can show people a glimmer of truth about themselves, they will enjoy it and remember it for a long time.
- There is nothing that connects to an audience like seeing ourselves up on screen and make us laugh at outselves.
- What something that you've noticed about people that only you can express?
- Real humor and comedy comes from well made observation about who we are, not "funny" lines or "wacky" characters.
- Focus on something real, and true, something you actually believe. Don't try to make a grandiose statement but a small one. Better yet, don't try to make a grandiose statement but try to find something that you think is entertaining.
- Don't think about what's funny or going to get a laugh, Be sincere and simple, that always work.
- The MOST important thing is to be true to yourself. Pick something to do that you really like. If you find it entertaining and worth your time to do, then an audience will find it that way too.
- Really be honest to yourself and analyze why you picked your idea before you begin working on your film.
- Are you trying to make a film that you think other people will be impressed with, or that you think others will enjoy ?
- Is your film REALLY something that you would enjoy sitting through if you hadn't made it ?
- Be honest about what you really like and make a film that you would actually like to see because if you would like to see it then others will as well.
- Failure is part of everything and an artistic life is going to be full of failure. Failure is the best way to learn so don't be afraid of it. Becoming afraid is failing before you even tried.
What I tell myself everyday.
To all the people watching, I can never ever thank you enough for the kindness to me, I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask is one thing, and this is.. I'm asking this particularily of young people that watch: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism - for the record it's my least favorite quality, it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen." - Conan 'O'Brien