What I tell myself everyday.

To all the people watching, I can never ever thank you enough for the kindness to me, I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask is one thing, and this is.. I'm asking this particularily of young people that watch: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism - for the record it's my least favorite quality, it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen." - Conan 'O'Brien

March 8, 2009

maya rigging joints simplified.

In order to animate a modelled character in maya, there are 3 process to do before we can start animating.

1.) Create BlendShapes. (Different facial expressions as well as any different geometry deformation during animation).

2.) Create a Skeletal Rig. ( The bones and controls to animate the character)

3.) Bind the Rig and BlendShapes to the model. (aka Skinning, assigning vertices of your geometry to the skeleton)

A skeletal Rig in Maya is predominationly built using joints. (Animation -> Skeleton -> Joint Tool)

Each appendage is its its own joint hierarchy. And they will be controled seperately. So separate chains have to created for Hands, Arms, Legs, Foot, Spine etc... These are then parented together into one big hierarchy.

The skeletal Rig should be believable and and functional. As in reality, the position of the joint is important to have the character move in a believable manner.

We will need to understand how Joints and Local Space work in order to better understand the rigging process.