What I tell myself everyday.

To all the people watching, I can never ever thank you enough for the kindness to me, I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask is one thing, and this is.. I'm asking this particularily of young people that watch: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism - for the record it's my least favorite quality, it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen." - Conan 'O'Brien

September 13, 2010

My views on the local state of affairs

This is probably a bit of old news and I wrote this in early Sept but I let it simmer for a while and and reflect on it. Its not often for me to rant, but I do tihnk things need to be put out there for some perspective.

Cynicism. But I have been reading a lot of the negative posts online about the YOG. The empty seats, the wayang show that the gahmen is putting on, that they are more interested in promoting singapore rather then letting the games take place. And of course with it, the chest beating by the local media.

I was truely agitated for a few weeks. What a waste of tax payers money... etc.. What a wayang govt we have. How hao lian we are . And the more i read, the angrier I get. But the thing that came over me was the cynism that I had. And also the bitterness that I see in some of the local websites which aggrieved the situation. What is the point. These blogs criticising the govt... what do they hope accomplish? And how am I suppose to feel. What alternative solution is there? We voted the govt in, we are also conditioned by the environment to be what we are. So why do we complain:? I feel that we are a cowardly lot. We are. It is easy, satisfying to complain. It feels like we are deferring blame on the govt. We complain about the salary that they get. The perks that comes with the job. The grass is always greener. Time to show you the mirror and ask you to look into it.

What is the best use of my time and waking life? I think that is being happy. Do you think these nay-sayers lie a happy life ? Expending so much energy complaining takes a lot of time and effort.

The old uncles and aunties pushing the clean up cart. Collecting coke cans and selling tissue papers. I feel for them.These naysayers say the govt should do something for them. Welfare etc..... Do you think they don't know, they can't see?

It can be viewed they are warning signs for the rest of society. That if we dun work hard, we will end up like that. The thought is if they help one, they need to help the next, then where do the helping stop?

I have tremendous respect for what MM Lee have done to turn singapore into what it was.

There is a juncture that you face. What do you want singapore to be like. Do we really want foreigers workers serving us, cooking our food ? Cleaning the streets ?

What kind of society do you want to be?

I tell you if you give the locals 1 million dollars they will still find something to complain. Emotional Satisfaction. That is the 2 words that I am is looking for. And I am aiming towards that.