What I tell myself everyday.

To all the people watching, I can never ever thank you enough for the kindness to me, I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask is one thing, and this is.. I'm asking this particularily of young people that watch: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism - for the record it's my least favorite quality, it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen." - Conan 'O'Brien

March 6, 2011

conversation with a Student 2 about Visual Discipline

Short version of visual discipline after another conversation. Big ass long post coming up in the next few days.


hilscreate says:
 visual discipline
i was asking why learn to draw if you can model it in 3D.
 my boss told me today
 its visual discipline 

zs★ says:
 Can elaborate?

hilscreate says:
 Drawing is Interpreting a shape's form with lines and curves
 I.E Looking at a subject matter and Analysing it (Analysing is the key word here)
 After which you make a informed and educated decision by putting it down as a line. Whether you meant it or not, that line that you put down on paper, is a commitment to the decision that you are making. 
 
zs★ says:
 The way I see it is that it`s a kind of practice for your eyes to work
 seeing one thing and understanding what you see is two different things

hilscreate says:
Yes. The ability to analyse what you see, i.e shape, form, perspective and extrapolate from it.


zs★ says:
 by learning to reproduce what you see, you are understanding it
 and by understanding it by drawing, you can also extrapolate that understanding to 3D softwares

hilscreate says:
 hold on
 the key word here is discipline
 the drawing u produced is the final result of a series of decisions made
 the word discipline is used is because
 you have shown discipline in committing to that line.
 That line or curve does not lie
 You cannot cheat
 like zbrush
 or mudbox
 there is no undo button

zs★ says:
 Hmmm..

hilscreate says:
 You can only get better by doing it again and again 

zs★ says:
 I guess that can be one way of looking at it, but I don`t really follow that way of thinking

hilscreate says:
 how come ?

zs★ says:
 because that`s assuming you are just drawing with line
 I`m thinking and answering the question from the assumption that why I learn to draw, when I am doing 3D arts

hilscreate says:
 yes 

zs★ says:
 which as no direct link to traditional art

hilscreate says:
 It does
 completely
 
zs★ says:
 yes, I know
 what I meant is on the surface
 there is no direct link
 because the visual discipline that you have described seem to be more relevant to traditional drawing rather than why we learn to draw when we are doing 3d
 line confidence is something I actually learnt quite late, in fact only recently
 and it is something that is very very advanced

hilscreate says:
 i dun understand the statement why we learn to draw when we are doing 3d

zs★ says:
 I mean I meet a lot of people who believe that
 if you are doing 3D graphics, you are just clicking mouse buttons and you don`t need to learn to draw, because that has nothing to do at all with doing 3D [that`s what they always say]

hilscreate says:
 ok

zs★ says:
 for me, what I gained out of learning to draw with respect to doing 3D stuff
 is that I learnt good and sound principles of design
 and a lot of visual principles
 on top of learning how to visualise and conceive complex graphical shapes
 which I do not think I would have been able to think of if I had not learnt to draw
 because you are able to visualise like how a person can stand or pose in your head through repeated drawings and constructions, you can go through many ideas in your head, then solidify them on paper
 then put them into the computer
 the commitment you mentioned just now isn`t the exact idea that I had in mind, though there are some things that I agree with
 like how you are making informed and educated decisions

hilscreate says:
 hmm good point.

zs★ says:
 for me, the commitment thing is strictly a drawing thing, because the fact that you do not undo is critical on paper

hilscreate says:
 yes
 
zs★ says:
 but the confidence of you not doubting and therefore repeatedly pressing ctrl-z
 is also quite relevant

hilscreate says:
 but what u are saying is repetition
 muscle memory

zs★ says:
 Mmmmhhh
 half half la I guess
 since we all learn through repetition
 through repetition we learn new stuff and discover new thing in what is previously just old
 actually, you know what
 I think upon thinking on it more, your boss is actually right
 I think what he was trying to say is that
 you are confident in your decisions and choices, since they are informed and educated choices

hilscreate says:
 yup

zs★ says:
 and as such, you do not keep going back to undo and re-do it

hilscreate says:
 yup
 u are training your critical eye

zs★ says:
 That makes sense

hilscreate says:
 critical eye needs visual discipline + muscle memory 

zs★ says:
 Yeah
 because eventually yo uneed to stop brainstorming out all the ideas
 and pick the best one and stick with it all the way

hilscreate says:
yes. Its like drawing hands, the 1st drawing is going to be very hard but then by the 500th, its not even about if you can draw the hand but  what do you want to tell with the pose of the hand.


zs★ says:
 and you need that critical eye to spot which is the best choice
 and say NO to the rest of the not so good ones

hilscreate says:
 YES! then drawing becomes 2nd nature like walking and riding a bike and all you need to worry about is just using drawing to solve a problem like does this design fit the character and no longer if I can draw a hand or an eye.
The best thing with discipline comes confidence. Hence line confidence. And once you get good at something, you will enjoy it more.