What I tell myself everyday.

To all the people watching, I can never ever thank you enough for the kindness to me, I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask is one thing, and this is.. I'm asking this particularily of young people that watch: Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism - for the record it's my least favorite quality, it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen." - Conan 'O'Brien

September 17, 2015

Animation and computer graphics for online media. Aka monetize your content.



With so many schools out there churning out students in software knowledge, animation principles, Teaching maya or animation skillsets have become just the bare necessity for students to be proficient. But then, the next step would be think of themselves as them as creators and even entrepreneurs.

I would even say its a need..

I used to think there is a certain bravado in being able to raise above the competition to secure a job in a decent studio. But obviously that cannot be the end game. Especially when the irony is that online digital content is fighting for an audience's time and eyeballs.

Training students to be animators and artists so that they can be good enough to be hired to work long hours in animation and vfx studios in a ever increasing market place can be rather..... sobering. IF you view it in that context.


“You will always have disgruntled people who feel they have to work long hours, but quite honestly, they should get out of it. We don’t make up the schedules and the budgets for the projects. We live within a commercial environment.”

I agree.. and while other people will advocate unionising or protest.. that is not the purpose of this post.

You need to draw eyeballs to you as an individual or your product/creation.

Why?



Because.. take a look at this video.



2 years ago. 44 million hits... and then everyone else rips it off and put it on their channels or in facebook groups..

and this.


32 million hits and rip offs..

Its all about creating content that captures people mind.. Most of you students and artists can create this level of "realism". The challenge is what content to create.

Lets give you some maths via the always awesome ParkaBlog

1000 views is rougly US$1 on youtube But it varies depending on content. So if you can guess how much those videos would have earned.

Then there is Freddie Wong  And what he has done. 

And there is this which I liked..



So the challenge then is how to get eyeballs to you. Even instructional videos will make money

But these are examples of how you can use your skillsets to monetize your work rather than clicking buttons for a company. You can even do both at the same time. All you need is just the content.